Are Christmas Trees Poisonous to Pets?
Image credits: freepik.com
The holiday season is here again and I bet you are excited about how it’s going to turn out! The Christmas tree is an important part of the Christmas tradition because it is where you place gifts for your loved ones. While it may be a place of joy to your family especially on Boxing Day, but the Christmas tree may be a potential hazard to your pet. Let's find out if Christmas Trees are Poisonous to Pets?
In this article, you will learn the dangers that Christmas trees may pose to your pet. Without further ado, let’s dive in.
Potential hazards linked to Christmas trees
While you may have wonderful ideas about decorating your Christmas tree better than it was last year, your pet may be having other intentions with your lovely tree. They may be attracted to the shining ornaments placed around the Christmas tree or the low hanging delicious treats. Before going on with decorations, let me show you some dangers the Christmas tree may pose to your pet.
Pine needles may harm your pet’s eyes
Pine tree makes the best Christmas tree. However, their needles may be harmful to your pet’s eyes. As your dog jumps around the Christmas tree, its eyes may accidentally get pricked by the pine needles resulting in cornea lacerations. The best way to address this issue is to limit your dog’s movement around the Christmas tree.
Ingestion of the sap may cause gastrointestinal discomfort
Christmas tree sap is another big issue, not only to you but to your pets too. Tree sap can get onto your clothing and soil your carpet or floor. Even worse, your dog or cat may be tempted to taste this strange, gum-like substance oozing from the Christmas tree. When pets ingest the sap, they may vomit, or have gastrointestinal irritation because the substance is not easily digestible.
Drinking fertilized water may make your pet sick
If you set up the tree just after Thanksgiving, you may want it to last until Christmas. And most of the time, people add preservatives to the water to increase the tree’s lifespan. If your cat or dog drinks this water, it will get ill due to the harmful chemicals and bacteria present.
The ornaments may cut your pet’s paws
The glass baubles and the clay keepsakes are attractive to pets. They may think of these ornaments as toys to be played with. What if these ornaments fall on the floor and shatter? Your dog and cat are likely to cut their paws and injure themselves in the process.
The dazzling strands of light may lead to electric burns
Light makes animals curious. And that is why your pet will want to access the dazzling strands of light on the Christmas tree. But there is a chance that your pet may get electric burns when they use those wires and bulbs.
Holiday Plants that are poisonous to cats and dogs
Apart from the Christmas tree, there are other holiday plants that may be dangerous to your pets. Avoid these plants when decorating your home during the holiday season:
Mistletoe is a highly toxic plant that should never be within the reach of pets. One sprig of the mistletoe is enough to endanger the life of your pet. Some clinical signs to watch out for when your pet ingests mistletoe include vomiting, difficulty in breathing, low heart rate, and low blood pressure. Seek veterinary assistance when you suspect your pet has ingested mistletoe.
Holly contains dangerous chemicals known as saponins that when ingested cause diarrhea, blood vomiting, and strong stomach irritation. What’s more, its leaves are spiky and may cause mechanical injury to your pet.
Lilies are toxic to cats. Ingestion of any part of lilies whether pollen or leaves or the flowers may lead to kidney failure. The common signs of lily poisoning include vomiting and reduced appetite. Contact the vet immediately you suspect that your cat ingested lilies.
Amaryllis and Daffodils
Amaryllis and Daffodils are also harmful to pets. They may cause depression, salivation, and loss of appetite in pets. When your cat or dog begins to tremor, then it is a sign that it consumed the plant to high amounts. Contact your Vet without delay as without immediate medical attention, you may lose your furry friend!
Christmas trees are not highly toxic to pets. When you limit the level of access your pet has to the Christmas tree, you eliminate over 90% of the risks. For example, as your dog plays near the Christmas tree, its eyes may get pricked by the pine needles. And if it consumes the sap oozing from the Christmas tree, then it may develop a mild gastrointestinal irritation.
Author: Vincent Otieno
Leave A Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *